Spring has arrived and with it, the world has become alive once again. The world is it is most beautiful in Spring, with its crisp blue skies and the vibrant colors of nature renewed following the cold. Those like me, who love the great outdoors will be eager to get back on those hiking trails and experience the euphoria of miles of unspoiled views. But, before you put on that expensive outdoor apparel, and throw on your backpack, there is a little planning to be done. Whether you are a beginner or a more experienced hiker, there are some items that you just can’t do without, when hitting the trails. There is a checklist of items, every hiker should make sure they have in their backpack before setting off, like these 5 must-haves:
- Light Weight Backpack
- Appropriate Hiking Apparel and Boots
- First Aid Kit
- General Safety Items
- Something to start a fire – If you become stranded, a fire will enable you to stay warm, as well as allowing you to prepare hot food drinks. Furthermore, it will help to ward off any predators and draw attention to potential rescuers.
- Multi-purpose tool – A Swiss Army Knife or similar could be really useful, as they can be used for a number of repair jobs, and a lot more.
- Map and Compass – Knowing how to read a map or GPS information, and how to use a compass are essential skills for any hiker. As well as letting you know how far you have left to walk, you can find campsites or emergency exit routes.
- Whistle – You would be amazed at how far the sound of a whistle carries, out in open spaces. Quick short bursts, will alert any other hikers or rescuers to your position if you find yourself in trouble.
- Extra Food and Water